||Eglin Air Force Base, FL 325426810
|Dodson, Jacob Christopher
Our group pursues research at the fundamental level to understand material and component failure behavior, modify dynamics, and increase survivability of electronics in ordnance systems under harsh mechanical loading conditions. This is an exceptional opportunity to perform academic-oriented basic research in structural dynamics and instrumentation of electronic systems at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Munitions Directorate at Eglin AFB, FL. The postdoctoral fellow will work closely with AFRL researchers to design novel diagnostics and perform experimental studies of the time- and frequency- domain response of both simple and complex electro-mechanical systems to high-amplitude, short duration impulsive loads. Successful candidates will have experience in structural dynamics experimentation and diagnostics, analysis, and/or simulation. We are interested in candidates who will conduct research in one or multiple of the following areas:
(1) direct simulation and/or experimental validation of transient time- and frequency-domain system response (using such methods as modal analysis);
(2) estimation of the dynamic state of the system using model-based estimation techniques;
(3) development of novel experimental testing methods for evaluating the shock-survivability and response of materials, sensors, electronics, and mechanical interfaces;
(4) development of instrumentation, methods, and metrics to characterize the internal mechanical environment of a complex electromechanical system under impulsive loading;
(5) modeling and design of experiments with highly-coupled variables (i.e., design of experiments), which could include multiphase physics (e.g., blast-driven impact);
(6) development of innovative methods for increasing computational efficiency and accuracy of transient dynamic simulations, with specific focus on propagation through interfaces with parametric variance (i.e., uncertainty in interface properties).
This position is restricted to US citizens only.
For more information on this position, contact Dr. Jacob Dodson using the info below.
phone: (850) 883-1920
mail : AFRL/RWMF
306 W Eglin Blvd, Bldg 432
Eglin AFB, FL 32542-5430
Transient structural dynamics; Electronic systems; Design of experiments; Model-based estimation; High-rate dynamic systems; Material characterization; Instrumentation; Mechanical wave propagation; Electronic survivability