U.S. Army CCDC - Chemical Biological Center, Physical Sciences
Our research utilizes a wide range of vibrational spectroscopic techniques, such as Raman and Infrared for both fundamental and applied methodologies. We are looking to continue research in these areas, as well as extending into more novel optical approaches for the detection of hazardous materials.
These opportunities include (1) Surface Science—fundamental studies into understanding the physical phenomena that govern the adsorption and interaction of analytes with metallic nanoparticles and nanostructured metallic surfaces; (2) Integrated Photonic schemes for advanced sensing applications of chemical and biological materials; (3) Forensic Analysis—utilizing Raman chemical imaging techniques for the trace detection of chemical materials; and (4) Novel vibrational spectroscopic techniques—we have a desire to explore advanced vibrational spectroscopic techniques, including surface-enhanced Raman scattering, Spatially Offset Raman, 2D Raman, Coherent Anti-stokes Raman, hyperspectral imaging, and passive and active infrared techniques.
1) Tripathi, A., Emmons, E. D., Kline, N. D., Christesen, S. D., Fountain III, A. W., and Guicheteau, J. “Molecular Structure and Solvent Factors Influencing SERS on Planar Gold Substrates”, J. Phys. Chem. C. 2018, 122 (18), 10205–1021.
2) Guicheteau, J., Tripathi, A., Allred, M., Olvera, T., Emmons, E. D., Wilcox, P. G., Hung, K., Koertner, A., Fountain III, A. W. “Chemical fingerprint identification system: beyond concept and toward applications for field expedition forensics analysis”, Proc. SPIE 10802, Counterterrorism, Crime Fighting, Forensics, and Surveillance Technologies II, 2018, 1080208-1
3) Guicheteau, J. A., Tripathi, A., Emmons, E. D., Christesen, S. D., Fountain III, A. W. “Reassessing SERS enhancement factors: using thermodynamics to drive substrate design”. Faraday Discuss. 2017, 205, 547-560.
4) Kline, N. D., Tripathi, A., Mirsafavi, R., Pardoe, I., Moskovitz, M., Meinhart, C., Guicheteau, J., Christesen, S. D., Fountain III, A. W. “Optimization of Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Conditions for Implementation into a Microfluidic Device for Drug Detection”. Anal. Chem. 2016, 88, 21, 10513-10522.
5) Tripathi, A., Emmons, E. D., Fountain III, A. W., Christesen, S. D., Guicheteau, J. A. “Identification of Nucleophilic and Electrophilic Binding Sites on Gold Surface-Enhanced Raman Substrates”. J. Phys Chem. C. 2016, 120, 23523-23528.
Raman spectroscopy; Surface enhanced Raman scattering; Nanomaterials; Chemical & energetic detection; Forensic analysis; Laser development; Microfluidics; Integrated Photonics